CELEBRITY CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND

Although you may not be famous, we invite you to relate all the gorey details of your brush with a celebrity

Popular Posts

Pages

Friday, February 4, 2011

ARE WE NOT DEVO?

DEVO X-RAY
In the mid 70’s my brother worked with several LA bands. He was the manager of “X” at the time.
Ray Manzerack, former keyboard musician for the Door and one of the nicest living legends you could ever meet, was their producer. My wife and I drove down with him in his VW to a recording session of X’s. (nepotism). When we passed Haight/ Ashbury, I thought how cool is this?  I’m in Ray’s VW on Haight street. If it were 10 years ago, I’d probably be the luckiest kid in high school.
During a break, my wife and I went to the break room to get a soda passing Toni Basil along the way which was cool. When we got into the break room, the guys from Devo were playing this pinball-like machine in the corner. The pinball machine had an old little tune every time you launch the ball. It inspired these guys to sing along. They sang this spontaneous song “Binge and Purge”. It was really good. I kind of hoped they would eventually record it but no such luck.
WES

No comments:

Post a Comment